Monday, July 11, 2005

A million poppies fell over a bombed city

SUNDAY 10 JULY 2130 BST
Still watching the news. A million poppy petals fell today in memory of those who died in the war 60 years ago.
I couldn't help but think of how it must have been when Londoners endured daily bombings and fear.
Many people have talked of the 'Blitz' spirit being present over the last few days.
If what they mean is a determination to continue with our lives and show compassion, friendliness and humour when we are frightened, instead of hatefulness, then perhaps something of the Blitz spirit is with us still.
I don't want to live in a suspicious, paranoid, angry city. I love London's diversity and tolerance and zest for life.
I want us to get back to normal as soon as possible. If the World War II generation coped with bombs with style and bravery, then, damn it, so can we Londoners of 2005.
I'm going back to work on Tuesday.
I'm going to sleep early tonight though, and rest tomorrow. I feel absolutely shattered.
I think I'll be able to sleep tonight without drinking alcohol to numb myself. The sickly fire smell is fading from my throat and nose and I've hardly coughed at all today.
I'm starting to feel more connected instead of disassociated and I am starting to allow myself to feel deep sadness for what happened, instead of the outrage/ numbness/ euphoria states I have been flickering between since the blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home