Saturday, June 10, 2006

Awaiting my nephew's arrival

Well, it is a nail-biting afternoon. My sister-in-law's waters have broken, and my family are preparing for the arrival of a first nephew and grandchild. I hope his journey into the world is safe and easy.

England have played their first match in the World Cup, and the flags flutter from cars, the Pimms sinks down easily and the sun shines. The happy, hopeful days are upon us. The lavender, rosemary, geraniums and jasmine give off sweet scents as I pour water over them. Sweet soul music plays from my neighbour's garden. Planes leave vapour trails in a blue, blue, sky. Miff purrs, and stretches, and rolls in the dust in the yard, the breeze ruffling her fur. I am licking my sticky fingers, and eating cucumber and orange slices soaked in sweet spirits and lemonade from the empty jug. Swallows dart and swoop as I look out of my window, and my skin is turning golden. Welcome summer, welcome little Angus; when you come, I hope that you find a shining world full of love.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Angus Robert Jorge has finally arrived, after his mum battled valiantly for hours with just gas and air. But he was a breech baba, so he needed a hand out. Congratulations to my new nephew, on weighing in at 8lbs 12 oz, most of it legs from what i can gather, and to his proud parents.

June 12, 2006 1:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,

Congrats to you and all the family on the arrival of baby Angus. My Niece is 3 years old and the sole Grandchild for my parents, her arrival made a monumental and fundamental change to ALL our lives. It's an amazing feeling being an Aunty (you get all the good and none of the bad) and the love you will feel for that little bundle will be like nothing you have ever felt before. With your nurturing and protecting nature Angus is going to be a very lucky little boy.

Jo. x

P.S. I suggest taking out a large overdraft NOW - it's amazing how they tug at your purse strings as well as your heart!!!!

June 12, 2006 2:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,

congratulations on becoming an aunt,i have a (soon-to-be) 8 year old nephew;its a nice feeling.

so tell me are you getting him a simpsons baby bibb or are you going to harrods? (big grin)

congrats again take care and be well. seth :)

June 13, 2006 1:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats aunty Rachel!

June 14, 2006 10:04 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Sounds a painful birth. Isn't Angus a great name? YOu'll have to post a pic. Congratulations on being an auntie.

June 16, 2006 8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home