Sunday, July 22, 2007

BBC Radio Norfolk Breakfast Show on Monday


BBC Radio Norfolk are doing a three-part exclusive interview about Out of the Tunnel on Monday ( tomorrow) between 9am and 10am. You can listen to it here tomorrow morning, (or on listen again, once it has run.) I'll do a Borders Norwich event as well, once they've all had a rest after Pottermania.

Out of the Tunnel is hovering just outside the top 1000 bestsellers on amazon, and now has 7 reviews - all 5 stars. Thank you once again to everyone who has bought it and especial thanks to those who have reviewed the book. A round-up of links and reviews so far can be seen in the top sidebar on the right of this post. New reviews from Bookarazzi via author Clare Sudbery on Boob Pencil, and from Rachel-Catherine. UPDATE: And another review from Sarah Salway, author, poet and creative writing tutor here.

I worry that there is too much book-pushing going on with the blog at the moment, but I'm under instructions, and it's a cut-throat world out there...

What it costs
£45,000 For one book to appear in window and front-of-store displays, and in Waterstone’s national press and TV advertisement campaign
£25,000 To feature in a bay at front of store as a ‘gift book’ in its genre and be displayed at the till
£17,000 To be one of two titles promoted as the ‘offer of the week’ for one week in the run-up to Christmas
£7,000 To be displayed at front of store as a ‘paperback of the year’ and be mentioned in newspaper adverts.
£500 Price of an entry in Waterstone’s Christmas gift guide, complete with a bookseller review


Eeek.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Price of a bookseller review front of store in my branch: free! (and nestled next to "In Search of Adam" too probably)

July 22, 2007 11:01 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yay! Thanks so much Kate!

July 22, 2007 11:06 am  
Blogger chris said...

I cant believe you have to pay for those things! Im shocked and vaguely appalled. Buying the book tomorrow!

July 22, 2007 11:45 am  
Blogger Henry North London 2.0 said...

I better not scroll down any further as I havent got my copy of the Deathly Hallows yet and your book is still at the post office sorting as I wasnt in when they came to deliver it (doh!) so I'll read the rest of your blog a few days from now

Henry x

July 22, 2007 12:09 pm  
Blogger zoe said...

i was quoted different prices in the 'run-up to christmas' displays - w.h.smith ask for £25,000 per book and waterstone's ask for £10,000.

whatever, it's a frightening business. great book too, rachel - now that i have grasped it out of Q's mitts!

July 22, 2007 4:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess, I haven't read your book. Only just come across it literally a minute ago. I must read it though. Frankly the book market and the commercialilsation of it all makes me sick.

July 22, 2007 11:17 pm  
Blogger Ian said...

Don't worry that there's too much book-pushing going on. With the book not yet surfacing in my country's book shops, your latest post prompted this procrastinator finally to click on the necessary buttons to buy through Amazon. (And, having seen what the bricks and mortar book shops charge book producers before they've even sold one of their books, I'm not sure I want to stick with my luddite preference for browsing and buying in book stores.)

July 23, 2007 8:38 am  
Blogger nescio said...

*Delurking*

I have just read Caroline Smailes's very poignant review of your book which has given me the final nudge to buy it now rather than wait till Christmas for someone to buy it for me. I really don't want to wait.

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with everything. I'm sure you have heard this often, but you're an inspiration. Warm regards from Leipzig, Germany,

*Relurking*

July 23, 2007 10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's been some interesting coverage of this Waterstones development in Private Eye, which revealed that a large number of publishers are considering boycotting the whole scheme just to see what panic might ensue.

August 06, 2007 3:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home