Sunday, July 08, 2007

Saturday 7th July 2007


I travelled into London by tube, in carriage one, same spot as usual, deep in thoughts of two years past. On the train I met Rich from KCU who survived being blown out of the train when the bomb went off, and his fiance. After quietly laying my lilies at Russell Square, with other passengers from carriage one, at 8.50am, and then signing the condolence book, I met up with some more people from KCU who'd been to the much-more public commemoration at King's Cross, attended by Gordon Brown, Tessa Jowell, Ken Livingstone and the Mayor of Paris. (And a lot of camera crews. )

Only the front half of carriage one evacuated to Russell Square, the rest of the train went to King's Cross. However, the bomb's devastation in the centre of carriage one meant we at the front of the train could not go back to King's Cross station even though it was much nearer, so we walked to Russell Square instead, down the tunnel. And so Russell Square is where I go to remember the passengers who did not come home, especially Shelley, whose Mum and partner have become dear friends, and to give thanks for the survival of the wonderful Gill, (who has written an inspiring memoir, One Unknown) , and the other injured travellers.

It was so sad to stand and read the names of those who died on the simple plaque, but I was grateful to to be there with other people from my train.

We had breakfast in a nearby caff, and I then rushed off to do a quick BBC News 24 interview to raise awareness about help available for PTSD, and to give out the number of the July 7 Assistance Centre ( 0845 054 7444) which provides free assistance to those affected by terrorism in the UK or abroad. Then I rejoined my KCU friends in the cafe. Some people then went on to the 1.30 lunch meeting with Tessa Jowell organised by the DCMS, but I just wanted to have a quiet drink with my fellow passengers, and friends from Aldgate and Edgware, privately without any fuss or officialdom present. We ended up smiling and talking in the sunshine, standing outside a pub, on the first glorious day for weeks, a welcome break after the sadness of the morning. We arranged to meet up again next month.

Later J and I travelled to Norfolk to celebrate my Uncle Ron's 70th birthday in a country club with many of his friends. More laughing and toasts and some corking speeches. If I can fill a room with as many delightful smiling friends as my uncle when I am 70, I shall be thrilled indeed. It was lovely to see all my family and a proud moment for me to present them with copies of Out of the Tunnel. The book is already in Norwich book stores Borders and Jarrolds - with twelve more copies on order! I squeaked out loud when I saw it on a shelf for the first time. I think Dad's parishoners and Mum's friends have been placing their reservations for copies, which is very sweet of them.

J and I had a shocking journey back though: a journey normally under two hours ended up taking nearly five hours. But I came back to an overflowing email in-box, dozens of kind messages - and my first reviews! Which I shall duly post...

8 Comments:

Blogger Coke Cola said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 08, 2007 8:09 pm  
Blogger kelly said...

What a disgusting troll.
Don't even think about his questions, Rachel. He is just trying to upset you for sick and twisted purposes.

July 08, 2007 8:41 pm  
Blogger Coke Cola said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 08, 2007 8:43 pm  
Blogger Henry North London 2.0 said...

Glad you had a nice weekend

July 08, 2007 10:39 pm  
Blogger Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

Kieren04 (Or D Ward... or whatever name you go by) whilst the question might be a fair one, and one I suspect Rachel may well of been asked already, it is the manner in which you ask that is offensive.

If your comment/question was removed, I guess it was more for tone and language used, and not for the question.

Rachel - Ignore him, though I am sure he won't let it go. What you do with any money you make, (and knowing first book deals, that money might not be seen for a loooong while) is your private concern. (As is how much money D Ward has donated to 7/7 charities in the last two years)

July 08, 2007 10:53 pm  
Blogger Graham the Funky Aardvark said...

Rachel

Your post today was a fitting tribute, thank you for allowing us to share it

July 08, 2007 10:55 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

To 'kieren04/D Ward': it is perfectly clear to me what your agenda is. Your very first comment contained 5 insults, followed by 2 demands for personal information about the site author!

Your following comments, which my mother phoned me to alert me about, and which she found both unpleasant and uinnecessary - have been deleted - in line with this blog's comment policy. It should therefore be perfectly clear to you why you will never get a comment published on this site, so I advise you to stop trying.

And this is the last time I respond to you: you're banned, permanently. Bye!

Sorry, everyone, comment modertation is now on until
'DWard/keiren04' gets the message and departs.

July 09, 2007 6:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Rachel, Two of the many thing I admire about you are your tenacity and courage. One reason why things did not go as they should have done was because certain people were busy doing other things instead of keeping their eye on the main ball (protecting public & country). Those certain people serve their political master, who in recent years has also been in-charge of them. Kindly note that
I said in-charge of, not responsible or accountable for. Those certain people help keep their incompetent, negligent, arrogant and ignorant and sometimes criminal political masters in office at whatever the cost to the public and nation. It's a case of they scratch his back and visa versa. I wish you all the best and lots of luck ...but I very much doubt you will get a real public inquiry. Remember Hutton, Deepcut and Jean Charles de Menezes and ......

And I've only been taking them on since 1986 - having served this country for many years before that.

Keep on fighting
Noel.

July 12, 2007 1:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home