Saturday, October 04, 2008

Miff update: she has caught a mouse! A small headless corpse was found on the sitting room floor. Well done Miff.

However, she is now being bullied by a very ballsy squirrel. I came out into the garden and discovered Miff hiding behind a large pot of cyclamen whilst the squirrel glared menacingly at her. The stand-off lasted two and a half minutes, then Miff bolted. The squirrel sauntered right past me, paused to jiggle its tail before bounding neatly onto the garden table.
It looked to me as if it was smirking.
UPDATE: The little bastard has been helping itself to my tulip bulbs. It will rue the day.
Weather update: Dire. We're all going to drown.
I have noticed a correlation between depressing economic and meterological news and having the urge to make enormous hearty casseroles.

Does anyone else do this or is it just me?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger zoe said...

I'm sure I know that squirrel from somewhere ..... ;)

When the weather gets cold (really cold) I go mad and make soups galore. The kids enjoy helping so it actually becomes a family event!

October 04, 2008 3:38 pm  
Blogger Philip said...

Are you sure she caught it, rather than just scavenging it from somewhere? Given her previous record where predatory matters are concerned, I fear a certain scepticism is warranted.

Word Verification: yvibe, a brand new dance craze based on the back-pocket quivering of excited mobile phones.

October 04, 2008 10:53 pm  
Blogger family affairs said...

It clearly isn't just you - didn't you read about the increase in the sale of turnips? What else can you do with them but stuff them in stonking great casseroles Lx

October 05, 2008 11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup - definitely with you on the 'hearty food' urge - casseroles, soups and bangers & mash with baked beans all suddenly make robust appearances...

current favourite - shin of beef, slow casseroled with the usual veg suspects for around 5 hours, mouthwateringly meltingly delicious!

October 06, 2008 12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Miff!! I have a mouse, first time ever, I hate it, I have scrubbed and scrubbed to clean away tempting things but it is still there, I have put peppermint oil everywhere (apparently they don't like that!) I have a 5 month old kitten who loves 'killing' her toy mice but doesn't seem to know we have a real one yet! Any hints on getting rid of the bugger!!?!

October 06, 2008 2:37 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

LOL at philip, on a roll with random word generator

Janetyjanet, how spooky, that's exactly what I made on Thursday. It was very nice. I put a can of Guinness in it as well.

Anon - I would buy a dozen traps, bait them with Snickers pieces, change the bait regularly, and place them where the mouse runs - they usually run along walls and behind things.Put them where the cat can't get them, obviously.

And check them every day. Good luck.

October 06, 2008 3:17 pm  
Blogger Philip said...

Oh, I'm an old hand at the dictionary game. If you're in the mood, scroll down the sidebar on my weblog till you get to the Satanic Supplement; there are a number of lexical innovations buried among the definitions, including blopticle, ulvern and whockeroon.

Word Verification: gwqapha, a Welshman failing to speak Arabic.

October 06, 2008 11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home